As part of Sydney Catholic Schools, we employ highly qualified and competent teachers who are accredited by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). To continuously improve our practice, teachers also work towards the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, from proficient teacher to lead teacher level.
The delivery of quality curriculum, pedagogy (teaching methods) and assessment is ensured by our system of schools through the provision of contemporary NESA accredited professional learning in a range of modes. Our Centres of Excellence offer online learning and external face-to-face courses, and timely, collaborative and relevant in-situ learning take place within the context of each classroom. Sydney Catholic Schools’ teachers are strongly committed to their ongoing learning, with many having completed, or are currently undertaking, postgraduate studies in areas related to curriculum, student wellbeing, special education, theology, pastoral care and leadership.
Shared collaboration for improved practice among staff is highly valued at St Francis Xavier Catholic Primary School Ashbury and involves:
- Staff meetings focusing on curriculum development
- Setting personal performance goals
- Meeting with Literacy and Numeracy coaches
- Regular learning walks focusing on current classroom practice
- Feedback is given to teachers to drive improved practice
- Attendance at conferences to broaden knowledge and networking with other educators.